A blog about life - the good, the bad, the people, the books, the games, coffee, and food.

Thursday, 6 July 2017

An interruption to your regular reading

There I was, getting a hair treat - deep conditioning, and blow - and while the hairdresser was busy with my hair the other customers started to chatter away in Afrikaans. Here's the thing Stellenbosch is an Afrikaans town, I read, write and speak it too...but not often, I tend to English. As a result I chat to my hairdresser in English because my Afrikaans is just too English. 

So for some reason  - the "you speak so well" bullshit, plus my accent that I get told is not South African, these other customers at the hairdresser decided I obviously don't understand Afrikaans. So they decided to have a big, fat chat with each other and the hairdresser about how my hair now looks good. And she is getting a workout trying to get my hair to look good. I walked in with big, curly fro going on. Now my hairdresser knows I know Afrikaans but she did not a damn shut them up or anything.

Yes, I didn't say anything because I AM FREAKING TIRED of always having to be the PoC calling white folks on their ish. It is not my job to stop you from being an idiot. Get a freaking clue.

This brings me to a few things.

Is it your business what I do with my hair that doesn't meet your bullshit idea of what "good" hair is? NO!

Is it your business that I speak better than you expect someone of my skin tone to do? NO!

Is how I dress any of your business? NO!

Is my weight any of your business? NO!

Is any part of my life/journey/thoughts your business? NO!

So how about this stay about of my business, when I want your opinion I'll ask you. And trust me, I know it goes both ways.

Take your stupid, heteronormative, hegemonic bullshit views and get them away from me.

MY JOURNEY IS NOT YOURS. YOUR JOURNEY IS NOT MINE!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment :)

About Me

My photo

Me in a nutshell: I game, read, tweet, enjoy good food, have bouts of red pen rage and I'm a coffee snob.

tums2tots columnist

2017 Reading Challenge

Cassey has read 1 book toward their goal of 200 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Cassey has read 9 books toward a goal of 100 books.
hide

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.