A blog about life - the good, the bad, the people, the books, the games, coffee, and food.

Thursday, 3 November 2016

Book Thursday: Chatty Edition

I don't have a review to share today. But it's time for a bookish chat. Mostly I'm curious as to how you deal with tough to read/finish books. And this is for both those it's so hard to read because you need to go do the work on yourself that it triggers, ala Brene Brown's books, the violence/emotions are just too much for right now. Those books you should love, but don't, and the all-around bad ones.

Are you able to just not finish a book? How long till you let a book go?

It's taken me a long time to master the art of just letting a book go. But I've gotten there...most of the time. I try to remember that I'd rather give my reading time to a good book. But when I find those free ones, and they're from indie authors I do my best to give them my attention. It's someone's book baby deserving of my respect. It's why I've also taken to saying my reviews that it's not for me. I don't want to be the person that bashes on someone else's work and dreams.

Is that silly? Too softhearted?

Go on, tell me what you think.

  4 comments:

  1. I am not good with this, Cassey, not at all.

    I have 3 books on my bedside table from when I was doing my social media fast.... I think I'll try again and then let go.

    I really don't much enjoy reading non-fiction anymore except through audible :0

    But I think the answer is .... it depends (!). Some things are a bit difficult to get through and then it gets easy. And the good bits are sometimes worth it.

    For me it's the writing - if the writing is good I will push through but if there's zero editing and it's bad, I'm happy to stop. I did find that bookbub and all of those recommend mostly poorly edited books and I would rather pay a better price for decent reading....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audible is so your thing :)

      The comment on the writing is an interesting one Marica, and it's given me the words for the points of frustration I've been experiencing with my reads lately. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I sit with "A year of Marvelous Ways" in my lap - I have plodded through it while I have read so many other books and the inspiration to complete it is just not there. It has great reviews in general but it is just not talking to me right now. So I am thinking of abandoning it.

    I do abandon a book very quickly if the writing is bad (Fifty shades as an example - 3 chapters in I could handle it no more), but abandoning a really good book is so much harder.

    Life is too short to read a bad book - and there are so many good ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. You need to be in the right mood for some books. And it's just not always there.

      Delete

Thanks for your comment :)

About Me

My photo

Me in a nutshell: I game, read, tweet, enjoy good food, have bouts of red pen rage and I'm a coffee snob.

tums2tots columnist

2017 Reading Challenge

Cassey has read 1 book toward their goal of 200 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Cassey has read 9 books toward a goal of 100 books.
hide

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.