A blog about life - the good, the bad, the people, the books, the games, coffee, and food.

Monday, 5 September 2016

My reading month: August

During August I read 23 books. Which I found rather surprising considering how busy August was. Then I remembered there was a lot of sit and wait time with K, while he was in hospital. I had 8 reads that I gave 4 stars to,  and they were either a retelling of a fairy tale or YA. Oooh, and looking at the list below, some gorgeous covers. Do not under estimate the importance of a great cover.

How did your reading month go?


A Fatal Family Secret (The Morphosis.me Files, #1)A Fatal Family Secret by Samantha Marks
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Great read that covers a mix of issues while still having a great take on some mythology. Kayleigh and her friends have something about them that anyone could relate to...and that makes this a book an easy recommend for anyone who likes YA.


View all my reviews Drifters' Alliance, Book 1Drifters' Alliance, Book 1 by Elle Casey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A fun, high adventure space romp with a colourful cast of characters. Does a great job as book one of a series, world building, has you invested in the characters and their stories. Is really just an all kinds of fun read.



View all my reviews Dating on the Dork SideDating on the Dork Side by Charity Tahmaseb
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

An enjoyable read. I liked the protagonist and the supporting 'cast'. Moments of funny, but really just a great read about finding your space, navigating people and your sense of self with others while tackling the fact that words do matter and shape they way we perceive each other in an engaging way.


View all my reviews Beauty and the Beast (Not Quite the Fairy Tale #3)Beauty and the Beast by May Sage
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this take on Beauty and the Beast. It's a light, great read without feeling silly.




View all my reviews Shadows of the Gods (The Unbreakable Sword Series Book 1)Shadows of the Gods by S.M. Schmitz
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

On a different day, a different mood this probably would have been a 3.5 book...today, it's a bit more than that, so it's getting 4 stars.

I enjoyed that it was a different take on the 'supernatural' things/folks are out there. I also liked that the various gods/demigods weren't all from the Greek and Norse pantheons, but encompassed more with great story bits of the other patheons included.

View all my reviews Sinful Cinderella (Dark Fairy Tale Queen Series Book 1)Sinful Cinderella by Anita Valle
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A twisted retelling of a classic story. Aspects of the passing was a smidge off. But I'm rating this story highly because of the godnutter, and because the steps got fleshed out a bit more than they generally do.



View all my reviews The Soul SummonerThe Soul Summoner by Elicia Hyder
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A really great read. The love triangle bits weren't for me. I did enjoy her powers, they're not ones I've come across in other books - that's a big plus. I loved that the protagonist wasn't utterly self-pitying all the time, and that she had people to call her on her silly moments.


View all my reviews A little Siren (Not Quite the Fairy Tale #2)A little Siren by May Sage
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Just really enjoyed this read.

  2 comments:

  1. Covers can really "call me" on a book - and I really love how much you read - I wish I had the time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat, I don't know where I found the time this month. I think it's in large part to the kindle app on my phone - I find that I read so much more, and faster, when it's an ebook. Great covers ftw!

      Delete

Thanks for your comment :)

About Me

My photo

Me in a nutshell: I game, read, tweet, enjoy good food, have bouts of red pen rage and I'm a coffee snob.

tums2tots columnist

2017 Reading Challenge

Cassey has read 1 book toward their goal of 200 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Cassey has read 9 books toward a goal of 100 books.
hide

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.