A blog about life - the good, the bad, the people, the books, the games, coffee, and food.

Thursday, 4 August 2016

Book Thursday


Recoil (Recoil Trilogy Book 1)

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book does a really good job of reminding me why I try to stay away from uncompleted series. The problem with reading the first book of a planned trilogy before the rest is available for reading means you end up with unanswered questions, and when it's written well wanting more.

Yes, dystopian future, young hero who learns the truth aren't exactly new story elements, but the way it is used here - with Joanne Macgregor making use of show don't tell fairly well, makes the story stay with you. While reading, I didn't just picture it all, but felt it. There were some moments where using the first person narrative really paid off. Others, where as a reader you're left frustrated.

I really, really want to know more about Quinn, how Lea got involved and how come Bruce just could not take a hint. Some characters are well fleshed out, others not quite as much. But given that this is a planned trilogy it stands to reason that we won't get all the juicy bits at the get go.

I give this a solid 3.5 stars.

*This was another lucky fish moment, book received in return for a review.*

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment :)

About Me

My photo

Me in a nutshell: I game, read, tweet, enjoy good food, have bouts of red pen rage and I'm a coffee snob.

tums2tots columnist

2017 Reading Challenge

Cassey has read 1 book toward their goal of 200 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Cassey has read 9 books toward a goal of 100 books.
hide

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.