A blog about life - the good, the bad, the people, the books, the games, coffee, and food.

Monday, 25 July 2016

When do you walk away from a friendship?

As we grow, and change how much are we supposed to do to not let friendships fall to the wayside? Or are we just supposed to go, the season with this person is done...and let the friendship go or filter into much less than it was?

I find myself tending towards rage and ugh when around a friend, and the silly things that person says. I do call the said person out on some things - particularly when they tend towards sexist. I'm also aware that given my tend towards rage and ugh with this person I'm not really being fair.

But how much am I supposed to do? Especially as this is a 10 or so year long relationship. And the person is the significant other of another friend? Or is this something like I mentioned earlier, just something to let go and change into much less?

Wasn't this supposed to get easier as we got older?

  5 comments:

  1. I try to keep contact with people, but when it's completely one-sided I eventually let go. I'll be pissed about it though. :P
    I currently am battling with a relationship too... we've been friends for almost 20 years, but seen less and less of each other in the last 6 or so. When we have seen each other there was something that irked me everyone and I couldn't put my finger on it until she messaged me again. I saw her WhatsApp and my immediate thought was "Why does she want to see me if she thinks I'm stupid?" And I realised that's what it was, the way she speaks to me is like she thinks I'm thick! It's very subtle, but it's there. And I have yet to decide if I'm done with it or not....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cass, this is such a hard one especially since you say it's a friend's loved one who is causing the question in the first place, because how do you walk away from the one without walking away from the other (even if that is not what you want from *that* person). I have only ever walked away from two friendships in my life.

    Both had different reasons to end, however essentially it boiled down to the fact that I was giving too much of myself and was not getting anything back. It took me forever to see it, but when I did, I made the choice to put myself first and walk away. Did it hurt? Like a MOFO. But it was what had to be done.

    Good luck working through this one.

    You will make the right choice for you. (even if you have to lose both friends)

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment :)

About Me

My photo

Me in a nutshell: I game, read, tweet, enjoy good food, have bouts of red pen rage and I'm a coffee snob.

tums2tots columnist

2017 Reading Challenge

Cassey has read 1 book toward their goal of 200 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Cassey has read 9 books toward a goal of 100 books.
hide

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.