A blog about life - the good, the bad, the people, the books, the games, coffee, and food.

Monday, 4 July 2016

About that no shampoo thing

In my most recent Five for Friday I mentioned it has been a month of doing the no shampoo thing, and Marcia wanted a post about it. So here's a post :p

It all started with the powerpuff pic on the right. I shared my pic on twitter and Tally, said she hadn't thought I was a curly haired person. The two of us then chatted about the trials and tribulations of curly hair. Abigail then told us about not using shampoo and what it has done for her hair. I was intrigued and figured I'd give it a go at some point - I had at that point being using sulfate free shampoo and conditioner, so the change wouldn't be that big.

Boy was I mistaken. It's been a month now of no shampoo and it has made a big difference to me. I do believe though that having been sulfate free for so long definitely helped me get past the worst of it.

I do a 'wash' with conditioner, and then follow it up with conditioner as usual. The  most important thing I learnt from this was to rinse and rinse well. I had a wash where I didn't rinse well enough and my hair, that normally doesn't get oily quickly was an oil bomb on day two. My hair has felt much more softer, and this is with me following my usual  air dry and then flat iron my hair routine. I barely need to use heat protection serum anymore.

So if you have thick curly hair I can definitely recommend the no shampoo thing. If the idea of no shampoo scares you then for now switch to sulfate free items. I use the Hask range [they don't test on animals]. Yes, it's a bit more expensive than other ranges, but it lasts for much longer than other ranges as you use less.

  6 comments:

  1. How interesting - have never heard of it but am sure this can actually work well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's part of the curly girl method, and it seems to have worked for quite a few folks.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much!

    I thought it was a no products no shampoo thing. Like the bicarb and apple cider vinegar thing.

    BUT I am willing to give it a go :) I have been sulphate-free for nearly 5 years (on 19 August.... 6 Aug is my birthday and that year - 2011 - I treated myself to my first Brazilian and have not looked back) and in fact, I do use those Hask products :)

    Also, I'm on holiday so who cares what I look like, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right :) Am intrigued by the Brazilian, but I'm on the fence about the cost etc.

      Delete
  3. It's interesting that no shampoo vs sulfate free has affected your hair so much Cassey! I've been lazy recently and have been using sulfate free shampoo a couple of times a week..! Currently trying out the Victorian Garden range to see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With you there A. It is interesting that even though I was using sulfate free products, that no shampoo still made a change.

      Delete

Thanks for your comment :)

About Me

My photo

Me in a nutshell: I game, read, tweet, enjoy good food, have bouts of red pen rage and I'm a coffee snob.

tums2tots columnist

2017 Reading Challenge

Cassey has read 1 book toward their goal of 200 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Cassey has read 9 books toward a goal of 100 books.
hide

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.