A blog about life - the good, the bad, the people, the books, the games, coffee, and food.

Sunday, 18 October 2015

Twitter is dead? Really?

Lately, I've noticed more and more people saying that Twitter is dead or becoming more and more mean. And while I agree that it does seem to show the nasty side of humanity more so than the good, it does not need to be that way. I found that changing the way and who I follow has returned my experience of it back to the way that works best for me.

I've basically cut my following list in half. I took the time to check who I followed and interrogated why I follow that account. Some of the accounts were obligated follow backs or brands for competitions. I realised that none of that brought me joy, and that it was contributing to my feelings of not enjoying my time spent on twitter as much. So I dropped those accounts.

I changed how many journalists and news sites I follow, to three or so of each. I only follow three store brands, relevant to my shopping habits. The rest of the accounts I follow are all people I interact with. I then take a look at any one new, and my current list about every two weeks or so to be sure that I am still interacting with them. Interacting isn't limited to chatting, it also includes retweeting them or engaging with a link they shared.

It has made such a difference for me. It might work for you.

How do you work your social media?

  8 comments:

  1. I did a big thing (for me) and unfollowed all news channels on Twitter. It helped. I then also did the same - cut my following in half and then I muted a lot of the people I'm "supposed" to keep, but who fill up my timeline with gumph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, no news channels there is a big move. Yay for making it work for you again :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't been back all that long, so the list of people I follow isn't all that long. But I'm also thinking more carefully before following someone these days. Also, I'm not nearly as active on Twitter as I was last time around. And that's working for me right now. But I'll definitely be more selective about whom and what I engage with going forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing that let me follow someone habit is hard, but so worth it.

      Delete
  3. I've been struggling with this a lot lately - feeling as though Twitter is getting 'mean' and is full of negativity, but I think you're right! I follow SO many brands and journalists, etc on Twitter, and I think it's time to start culling. I like what you've said about only following accounts that bring you joy - I'm definitely going to go through my follow list with this attitude in mind! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does it spark joy, has been the biggest thing I got from Konmari. It's amazing how much we keep around that doesn't make us happy.

      Delete
    2. Agreed! That question is amazing and has changed who I follow on blogs too. I need to write about the instagram story though :)

      I don't do Twitter at all :) I set Twitter up YEARRRRRRRRRS ago, like pre-kids.... so my Organising Queen blog posts there automatically (I think? I've even forgot my password so I can't even go look properly)

      Delete
    3. Twitter is not for everyone, so is a lot of other things ;).

      Seriously that question is my thing now. It is wonderful just how much having it changes things.

      Delete

Thanks for your comment :)

About Me

My photo

Me in a nutshell: I game, read, tweet, enjoy good food, have bouts of red pen rage and I'm a coffee snob.

tums2tots columnist

2017 Reading Challenge

Cassey has read 1 book toward their goal of 200 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Cassey has read 9 books toward a goal of 100 books.
hide

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.