A blog about life - the good, the bad, the people, the books, the games, coffee, and food.

Wednesday, 26 August 2015

#Luister



This is such a hard thing to watch.

It makes me wonder to what extent the difference between my conversational Afrikaans and academic Afrikaans impacted on my studies - especially the subjects I failed. During my time there we didn't have translation devices, it meant that often in tests - especially my law subjects - I just wouldn't be able to find the right English term for something, and would use the Afrikaans one. I remember one of my second year Pol Sci lecturers really struggling with Afrikaans, it made T-option painful for everyone because he persisted with one week in English and the other in Afrikaans.

I wonder just how sanitised my Stellenbosch experience was, my interest meant I had more white friends, so I probably got shielded from a lot of stupid remarks. That said there were places in town that I either never went to, or only went to once. Mystic is one of those spots I only went to once, it was so awkward.

I'm so glad I wasn't in res...it seems horrifying.

For all of this, I still made lifelong friends there (here, I am doing post grad studies at Stel next year), got an education I wouldn't have been able to have otherwise...and I just really love this town. It has so many issues, but it does feel as if it'll  change.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment :)

About Me

My photo

Me in a nutshell: I game, read, tweet, enjoy good food, have bouts of red pen rage and I'm a coffee snob.

tums2tots columnist

2017 Reading Challenge

Cassey has read 1 book toward their goal of 200 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Cassey has read 9 books toward a goal of 100 books.
hide

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.