A blog about life - the good, the bad, the people, the books, the games, coffee, and food.

Friday, 24 July 2015

Bits and pieces

I'm having one of those moments where you want to write a post, you know what you want to write about...but the words just aren't coming out. So this post is parts of half thoughts, in the hopes that while I'm getting them out the thoughts will finish themselves. 

Does anyone else write like this? I have sentences flitting all over my mind, and the process feels like a struggle to grab the right one, and hold onto it till I can get it down and out just right.

----------------
Sometimes it feels like I just don't have the right words for anything. And lately it's also been that I don't have the right words or actions for myself, in this post on Making Mountains Belinda speaks about doing kind things for yourself...those things we do for others. And it is just something I struggle with so much.

I don't know how to do anything nice for myself without telling myself that I'm being selfish. Logically, I know it's not being selfish...but that other voice, I just can't get it to shut up. And 9 times out of 10 it'll win. This grown-up treating yourself well business it tough, so tough. Why aren't there classes on this?  Are there classes on this? 

-------------
This post looks at the words we use to describe ourselves. Not an exercise I should be doing right now. But still a good jumping off point for things to ponder.

------------
This series of posts is just great. It shows why studying pop culture is important. And it has served as part of inspiring me (the other part has been panels and conversations from this year's Comic Con) and helping me figure out what my 2017 academic plans are. Next year is a social science research diploma, then after that an MA and PhD for me. I'll be looking at fandoms, and probably how social media fits in with it. The way social media has helped fans come together is very interesting, especially as I see social media causing more and more disconnection.

------------
Mandy put in a lot of work on this. It is a great series, even though she included me. Seriously, I just did what people do, do what needs to be done. Also you should so read her blog in general.




  6 comments:

  1. Oh boy! I am so very glad I am not the only one that struggles with time and things for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided it's a skill...and one day we'll get it right.

      Delete
  2. I'm in the same place with regard to writing right now. I've got a draft post sitting unfinished in my editor and if I look at the things I've been thinking and writing, it'll probably stay there, simply because I'm not entirely sure that putting it out there is worth the potential upset it may cause. Ironic that, when just a few days ago I commented to Briget that I'm a huge fan of that quote from Anne Lamott that goes, "If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should have behaved better..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's also the balance of whining and sharing to ponder. It all makes me wonder how we get anything out.

      Although, we all have our own spots in this landscape and can do with it what we want. If people don't like it, they don't need to read it. It's very easy to unfollow.

      Delete
  3. You need to be kind to yourself Cassey! And yes, I feel "bits and pieces" of things floating around my brain all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kindness to myself is hard. Glad to not be the only one with things floating around in my brain all the time.

      Delete

Thanks for your comment :)

About Me

My photo

Me in a nutshell: I game, read, tweet, enjoy good food, have bouts of red pen rage and I'm a coffee snob.

tums2tots columnist

2017 Reading Challenge

Cassey has read 1 book toward their goal of 200 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Cassey has read 9 books toward a goal of 100 books.
hide

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.