A blog about life - the good, the bad, the people, the books, the games, coffee, and food.

Wednesday, 24 June 2015

Lets chat about...

Inconsistent clothing sizes. Currently in rotation in my wardrobe I have 3 pairs of jeans and a pair of pants...all four are different sizes. Three of the four pairs of bottoms were purchased this year, two from the same retailer and all fit me comfortably. The jeans are a size 34, 38 and 40; the pants fill in the missing 36.

Look stretching can only account for so much discrepancies, but not for the difference between a 34 and 40. Especially given the fact that I have not lost any of the much needed weight I need to lose. The thing that throws me for a loop the most is that two of the pants are from the same retailer.

And it's not just pants that have this issue; at one retailer my tops are a large, at another it's a small, medium and large. From one store I have the same summer top in a small and medium, and then a winter top in a medium and large.

Same sizing issues for underwear and shoes. What's going on here? Do retailers just not care about consistent sizing? Because the same things happen with baby and kids clothes. At one store Keiden fits in the baby range, at another he wears kids clothing. Keeping track is such a mission...and when I get it wrong we're stuck with the items because I have a wash before wear policy.

Does this happen to anyone else? How do people shop for clothing online successfully? What am I missing?

  6 comments:

  1. I've found the same problem. There was a stage about 18 months ago where the clothes stocked by Checkers Hyper were normal sized. The very next season, clothes that were marked the same size where up to 4 sizes smaller.

    When I complained they said they would chat to the buyers. It seems like clothing suppliers can call any size they want S, M and L. Why don't they stick to cm measurements as a standard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say chat to the buyers, but it's not really something the ordinary person is in a position to do. Gah. There just seems to be no standard, even if they did stick to cm it wouldn't work.

      I see it so often in K's clothes. The pants from all the places say the same length of 80 - 87cm, but they don't all sit the same. So I have no idea what ruler they're using.

      Delete
  2. We try things on before we buy them. Or, if I buy something for one of the kids and they're not there to try it on, I make them try it on as soon as I bring it home, with the labels and tags still attached. If it doesn't fit, I take it back. It's a schlep, but I simply can't afford to waste money on clothing that's not going to be worn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J and I do the try thing. It's a bit trickier with K, but we'll soon be there. Maybe I should try it on at home for him too.

      Delete
  3. Eek, I can relate to all of this. I hate how inconsistent the sizes of clothes in the shops are- kids and adults.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a pain and a massive confidence bash each time. I know that retailers are supposed to keep note of what gets returned, but if they do it sure hasn't made a difference.

      Delete

Thanks for your comment :)

About Me

My photo

Me in a nutshell: I game, read, tweet, enjoy good food, have bouts of red pen rage and I'm a coffee snob.

tums2tots columnist

2017 Reading Challenge

Cassey has read 1 book toward their goal of 200 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Cassey has read 9 books toward a goal of 100 books.
hide

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.