A blog about life - the good, the bad, the people, the books, the games, coffee, and food.

Thursday, 7 May 2015

On friendships

Being a generally outgoing and friendly person you'd think that friendships would be easy for me, but they're not. My outgoing nature is heavily tempered by my shyness/self doubt - why would anyone want to be friends with me - so as a result I struggle with making those relationships work. Now it's not all doom and gloom I do have people I can call in the middle of the night, but what I see as my inability to make and maintain meaningful friendships tends to make a worry-wort appearance often.

Recently though, it's been tapering off. I've realised post some whatsapp chats this morning that it's because I have managed to make and maintain new friendships. And I think that maybe getting older has also played a part. I still have those moments of nobody likes me, how could they I suck - rationally untrue, but sometimes you can't get your heart and worry side to listen to your brain - but they are being tapered by more moments of "so what" and "you don't".

And I know that it's also because of social media I've been able to find more people who share the same interests. There is something powerful that comes from finding people who get you. Before I've only had four people who really got almost all of me, and now there are more, and it just makes me feel all kinds of grateful...and gushy ;).

So really this is just a little thank you to the folks who are now part of my world who get me. My world is definitely better for having you in it.

  8 comments:

  1. YAY! I struggle with this too. And when I do find people that I really do connect with, I feel like I am not really being a good friend to them at all. The worry never ends. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the time, Cindy, all the time.

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh, could have been written by me! Wonderful that we are finding more like minded people in the webs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with you - I'm extremely shy and plagued by self-doubt too. The Internet and social media have helped me so much in finding nice people :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And people to geek out with too :)

      Delete

Thanks for your comment :)

About Me

My photo

Me in a nutshell: I game, read, tweet, enjoy good food, have bouts of red pen rage and I'm a coffee snob.

tums2tots columnist

2017 Reading Challenge

Cassey has read 1 book toward their goal of 200 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Cassey has read 9 books toward a goal of 100 books.
hide

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.