A blog about life - the good, the bad, the people, the books, the games, coffee, and food.

Sunday, 26 October 2014

Breaking-up with a retailer is hard to do

First there was the packing of a leaky packet of meat on top of fresh strawberries - we excused it, new packer who made a mistake. Still tweeted about it, details taken, action and a phone call promised, but nothing happened.

Then there was ripen at home avos that went mouldy in a week. We thought, okay maybe there was something we could have done to not have that happen. But decided it's better to not buy fresh fruit and veg from them any more. Tweeted about it, details taken, action and a phone call promised, and yet again nothing happened.

Then yesterday we bought Kiri blocks on a fantastic special. Only to get home and discover that it was a fantastic special because they were selling three week old stock. Stock that I nearly fed my baby, but fortunately managed to notice the best before date on the box.

Yip, it says: BB 04 10 2014


Tweeted, and got the usual details please we'll look into it. This time I said you have it already, and I don't expect you to do anything because you haven't before.

It might just be me, but how many people check best before dates of things on special, besides milk? We place trust in our retailers, especially the big ones. But it's official Pick n Pay and I have broken up. It really is them, and not me.

  8 comments:

  1. I usually check the dates on dairy and baked goods. Tinned things and non perishables I tend to not bother. We've only had one bad fresh produce experience with PnP, a butternut went mouldy within a week. But really DH should've put it in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, it feels like it's one bad thing after another. And the lack of response just makes it clear that they don't really care about their customers. So why bother spending my money there.

      Delete
  2. I check dates on EVERYTHING before I buy it. I am also very suspicious of these amazing specials on fresh produce as I know it normally means the stuff has expired. It's normally ok for a while after it expires but I still won't buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't an anything but dairy checker, but I will be now. I don't go near expired stuff, if we've not used it by the date then shame on us for wasting food and money...but I won't take the chance of food poisoning.

      Delete
  3. I'm not too fussy about dates except the veg and things - I do a weekly shop so ja. Anyway, what I want to say is that I have also had issues with them and their veg going off WAY before it should. So much so that we don't buy there anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you there. No shopping there anymore, it's just not worth it.

      Delete
  4. Most things are good for at least 6 months after the best before date. apparently!?? Except dairy, vegetables and baby formula! I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's probably why people are okay after eating tinned goods in those zombie movies/shows ;)

      Delete

Thanks for your comment :)

About Me

My photo

Me in a nutshell: I game, read, tweet, enjoy good food, have bouts of red pen rage and I'm a coffee snob.

tums2tots columnist

2017 Reading Challenge

Cassey has read 1 book toward their goal of 200 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Cassey has read 9 books toward a goal of 100 books.
hide

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.