A blog about life - the good, the bad, the people, the books, the games, coffee, and food.

Friday, 22 August 2014

A day

Being a mom is the hardest job I've ever had. Here is a typical weekday.

  • Wake at 02:00, K is niggly, feed and settle him back to sleep. This can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour. Also teething has thrown a wrench at us, and now he's waking just before midnight before this :-/
  • Wake at 04:30, more niggly K and settle.
  • Wake at 06:30, breakfast feed for K
  • Wake at 07:00, J's alarm goes off, he takes K for a bit.
  • Get up about 07:30ish, doing morning stuff before J leaves for work. On days where it's been a very bad night, I get to sleep till J leaves. Sure it makes going to the bathroom tricky, but sleep wins.
  • 08:00 and 09:00 make and feed K his solids breakfast. I do sometimes make a batch of his meals that's big enough to freeze a few portions, but because it's important to me to have him try something new every week, I can't always make and freeze ahead. Generally, this time of the morning K is pretty content to play with himself for a few minutes, so I let him. If it's a good day do some laundry.
  • 09:00 and 10:00 bf, change nappy and try to get him to nap. Try to hang laundry - if it' not too windy I put him in his bouncy chair and he stares at the trees.
  • 10:00 and 11:00 if K is napping bonus thing go faster. If he's not it's one handed breakfast making, and play. Playing always involves some form of tummy time - he hates it, but it must be done - and then variations of reading, stacking games, flying games, some dancing around and tickles :). Last attempt at hanging laundry.
  • 11:00 and 12:00 nappy change, play with K and start making his lunch
  • 12:00 and 13:00 feed K his lunch, try to get him to drink some water, entertain him.
  • 13:00 - 14:00 nappy change, bf and attempt at getting him to nap.
  • 14:00 - 15:00 lunch for me. If K is napping more e-mail and work attempts.
  • 15:00 - 16:00 nappy change, more playing. Maybe take a walk if the weather is good or we didn't go earlier. Or if I'm very lucky, he's sleeping and I can have a minute or so to myself to just arb.
  • 16:00 - 17:00 wake him at 16:00 if he's sleeping, get his supper ready, play. Maybe do dishes.
  • 17:00 - 18:00 feed him his supper, do dishes, try to waylay a cranky tired meltdown, bf.
  • 18:00 - 19:00 J gets home. I help with bath stuff, we chat. I sort out bed stuff for K and his night bottle, clean up post bath mess. Start dinner. If J is working late then I do it all.
  • 19:00 - 20:00 make dinner, have a minute to myself. Chat with J. Maybe watch something while having dinner.
  • 20:00 - 21:00 possibly watching another episode of something. If not start work.
  • 21:00 - 23:00 work
  • 23:00 onwards shower and sleep
  • 02:00, it all starts again
While breastfeeding I manage to do some chatting via hangouts/twitter/whatsapp. Also use that time to check twitter, read blogs etc. So the work thing became consistent from the start of this month, but since K was about 3 months or so I have had some form of work or the other - editing and other things.It's only recently that it became set.

Weekends are very different. J is a my hero, he'll let me sleep in for an hour or so, he and K have lot of giggles and raspberry blowing competitions. But we do make a point of being out and about, and are usually out of the house by 10:00. It gets very busy, but it helps me a lot.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment :)

About Me

My photo

Me in a nutshell: I game, read, tweet, enjoy good food, have bouts of red pen rage and I'm a coffee snob.

tums2tots columnist

2017 Reading Challenge

Cassey has read 1 book toward their goal of 200 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Cassey has read 9 books toward a goal of 100 books.
hide

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.