A blog about life - the good, the bad, the people, the books, the games, coffee, and food.

Tuesday, 30 August 2011

Day 12- A book so emotionally draining you couldn’t complete it or had to set aside for a bit

There are two books for this one, A Child Called It and My Sister's Keeper. The first is because, child abuse is horrid and the descriptions would have me wincing and thinking of the pain - my imagination was a big negative while reading that novel :-/

The second one was because I got so upset at the mother's behaviour. Yes, she wanted to help her sick child, but it was at the cost of her other children. Anna was just this spare parts factory, and Jesse was the healthy kid they didn't need parts from, so they could ignore him. Honestly, I thought the mom's behaviour was child abuse, her kids didn't get the emotional support they needed from her, not even Kate. Her sole focus was beating a disease, not dealing with the people that made up her family. Yes, I'm not a parent so I don't know what it's like having a sick child and wanting to do all you can for your child, but I do know that no parent should ever only focus on the one child when they have other children that need them too.

I don't see myself ever getting to a point where I can understand and not get angry at the - yes, fictional - behaviour of the mom in My Sister's Keeper. That, for me, is a sign of a great story and writing. Is there a novel where the characters get under your skin?

  2 comments:

  1. I could not see your posts yesterday!
    Gosh but I did find both of them emotionally draining but did not have to put them down. And even being a mom I agree with you about Sister's keeper - however, I can totally see how this can happen to any mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you could see them today lady :) Yay, a mom who agrees with me :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment :)

About Me

My photo

Me in a nutshell: I game, read, tweet, enjoy good food, have bouts of red pen rage and I'm a coffee snob.

tums2tots columnist

2017 Reading Challenge

Cassey has read 1 book toward their goal of 200 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Cassey has read 9 books toward a goal of 100 books.
hide

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.