A blog about life - the good, the bad, the people, the books, the games, coffee, and food.

Monday, 4 July 2011

On being competitive

A friend had a boardgames and cake day for her birthday yesterday. It was fun and the cake was yummy :) There is a boardgame that I don't enjoy playing, and I have lost all 13 games that I have played. After the 13th game - I know, why do I keep on playing it when I don't like it? Well my friends and husband like it, and sometimes you do things for others to be happy - the discussion turned to definitions of losing. My friends say I didn't lose, I beat two other people. Me: losing is not wining and winning is coming in first.It didn't go down well. They then told me that I'm very competitive - a big revelation to me.

I know that I can be competitive, but they made it sound like I'm a rage quitter. I just happen to like winning, but knowing that I'm unlikely to win doesn't stop me from playing games. I game because it's fun, and something I can do with friends. If I happen to win, it adds to my fun, and yes, it does make losing the rest of the time easy to deal with.

Is being competitive that bad?

  6 comments:

  1. Really? You are so competitive? It thin it's a positive point. Now I want to know what the board game is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I don't think I am, but my friend did say that when I beat her at a game - a game she's really good at by the way - that I get so excited I make her feel bad that she lost :-/ The game is Agricola http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31260/agricola, it's a great family game if you're looking to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David is uber super competitive. It is insane!!!

    I would prefer to win but if I dont then I really dont mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think most people would prefer to win ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a fine line between being competitive and being a douche. Just don't cross it and you will be fine. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment :)

About Me

My photo

Me in a nutshell: I game, read, tweet, enjoy good food, have bouts of red pen rage and I'm a coffee snob.

tums2tots columnist

2017 Reading Challenge

Cassey has read 1 book toward their goal of 200 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Cassey has read 9 books toward a goal of 100 books.
hide

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.