A blog about life - the good, the bad, the people, the books, the games, coffee, and food.

Thursday, 25 March 2010

Yes, I watch soapies

We have quite a few local soapies, but there are 2 that I think are probably the most popular: Generations and Isidingo. I tend to watch this too semi-regularly, as with most soapies the story lines go through some really bad phases. Isidingo's current standout storyline for me is dealing with the eating disorders that Maggie and Jess have. In Generations there are 2 stand out story lines: a father finding out that his son is gay and a couple dealing with abuse. I commend the writers of this soap for dealing with issues that happen in real life and not just doing the silly "lets manipulate person x for reason y".

Sibisusio finding out about the relationship his son Senzo has with Jason - someone he defended for being bisexual - has been a long time coming, as September last year Senzo and Jason (both black) had their first kiss. I hadn't fully realised how conservative SA was until there was an outcry about the kiss. So I suppose the reaction of Sibisusio to finding the two in bed together is something that most viewers will accept. It's soo sad that people could accept the reaction as normal and what should happen, attacking people with a sjambok and firing your employee because he is gay is not on. The comments made by viewers on one of the articles is also frighting, why can't people accept people for who they are?

What are your thoughts on this?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment :)

About Me

My photo

Me in a nutshell: I game, read, tweet, enjoy good food, have bouts of red pen rage and I'm a coffee snob.

tums2tots columnist

2017 Reading Challenge

Cassey has read 1 book toward their goal of 200 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Cassey has read 9 books toward a goal of 100 books.
hide

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.